New Orleans woman lived with mummified son’s remains for 9 months in home filled with trash and vermin

Mummified body of baby boy found in Lakeview home (Google Map)

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA: A New Orleans woman is under investigation after authorities discovered she had been living with the remains of her 600-pound mummified son for nine months in a home filled with garbage and vermin.

Barbara Hainsworth, a mentally disabled elderly woman from Lakeview, drew the attention of city officials after multiple complaints about her home’s condition.

Code enforcement investigators discovered the disturbing scene on Thursday, May 15, when they visited her residence, according to a citation filed with the city’s Healthy Homes Administration.

READ MORE: Michelle Obama says there’s one tiny thing that Barack is ‘afraid of’

READ MORE: Ex-Biden aide reveals president was ‘fatigued and disengaged’ before June debate in new book

Mummified body found amid filth in former doctor’s home

Neighbors had reported an overwhelming buildup of trash outside the house, which led to the infestation of rats, chickens, and roosters.

When investigators arrived, they found the remains of Hainsworth’s son inside the residence. Public records show that authorities revoked Hainsworth’s medical license nearly a decade ago, although she once worked as a doctor.

Upon inquiry, Hainsworth reportedly told police, “That’s my son. He died about nine months ago.” She further explained that her son suffered from multiple medical conditions, though officials have not publicly released his name.

The New Orleans Police Department responded to the scene after the discovery, finding that the home was in horrific condition, filled with “garbage, chickens, roosters, rats,” and other signs of extreme hoarding.

A statement from the Department of Code Enforcement (DCE) read, “DCE’s investigation revealed horrific conditions, including the remains of a mummified male body and evidence of extreme hoarding conditions, along with mounds of trash in and around the property.”

City fined homeowner days before discovery as officials probe tragic case

On May 7, a member of the New Orleans Health Department had notified the DCE of the deteriorating condition of the property.

Investigators visited the home the next day and discovered the remains. Officials condemned the home due to its health hazards, though they currently have no plans to demolish it. Code enforcement also informed its demolition contractor to be on standby for further cleanup.

“The property was also scheduled to be boarded by the New Orleans Police Department (NOPD),” the statement continued.

On May 6, just one day before authorities learned of the home’s condition, the city fined Hainsworth $6,125 and declared the property a public nuisance.

After the discovery, authorities dispatched a mobile crisis unit to evaluate Hainsworth’s mental health, and they have not charged or arrested her. The investigation into the matter remains ongoing.

The shocking situation has raised questions about Hainsworth’s well-being and her ability to care for herself, as well as the welfare of her late son. The community and authorities continue to address the disturbing conditions that led to this tragic discovery in the heart of New Orleans.

Exit mobile version